AWS cloud practitioner notes - Infrastructure and reliability
AWS provides solutions to provide high availability for customers through multiple regions.
Module 3 - global infrastructure
AWS provides a range of regions to support highly availability.
- Compliance (does the data has restrictions to any country? Usually complice states restrictions to where the software should operate.)
- Proximity (Close to the customer, usually the right call as the content will be provided faster compared to farther regions)
- Future availability
- Pricing (some locations are more expensive to operate)
Each region is made up of multiple of data centers. AWS calls a single data center or a group of data centers a availability zone or AZ. AWS data centers have redundant power, networking and connectivity.
Services that have the check “Regionally scoped service” are already high available.
Module 3 - Edge locations
AWS provides a CDN (Amazon cloud front) uses edge locations to accelerate communications with customers around the world.
- Regions are geographically isolated areas
- Regions contain availability zones
- Edge locations run Amazon CloudFront
Best practive tip: deploy infrastructure accross at least 2 availability zones
AWS outpost installs a mini regions inside a private data center.
Module 3 - How to provision AWS resources
In AWS everything is an API call, there are pre detemrined ways to interact with AWS services. There are a few options to interact with those services, for example:
- AWS management console (web based, visually)
- AWS Command line interface (CLI - API calls via terminal)
- AWS Software Development Kits (SDKs - interface for different programming languages)
Elastic beanstalk is a AWS managed service that manages EC2 instances. You provide a configuration such as networking, storage, scaling and the application to run. Besides, this is a way of making the process repetible and prevent the possible human error during repetitive tasks.
Cloud formation is a service that AWS provices to provision services through scripts (code tool). Through XML or JSON declarative scripts called CloudFormation templates.
calls to AWS apis ________________ | | CloudFormation template ---------> | Aws Formation | ---------> AWS services |________________|
The CloudFormation approach decouples the what yuo want to build from how to build it. The CloudFormation takes cares of the how, and you the what.